Beginner's Guide to Urethral Sounding
What is urethral sounding? Originally a medical procedure, you may have heard the term but wonder why anyone would do it for pleasure. Many people are exploring their bodies in new ways, and discovering the arousing sensations associated with urethral play.
At Lovehoney, we encourage you to explore your body fully and get to know what you like but, as always, there are safety measures to consider. This guide takes you through everything you need to know about urethral probing, and how to make sure you do it safely.
Above: Still not really sure what urethral sounding is, or why people want to do it? Let Jess Wilde give you the facts in this video guide.
What is Urethral Play?
Urethral play is the process of dilating the urethra by inserting a plug or probe (also known as a sound). Just as the head of the penis is super-sensitive to touch, the urethra is also packed with highly-responsive nerve endings which feel amazing when stimulated.
Some urethral toys are designed specifically for stretched sensations, while others are long enough to reach otherwise-untouchable erogenous zones such as the prostate.
It's important to understand what to expect from urethral probing, and the differences between urethral plugs and sounds. While they are both designed to be inserted into the penis, they are suited to different sorts of play.
1. Penis Plugs
A penis plug is a short insertable toy which is designed to be inserted into the first few inches urethra and are sometimes suitable for prolonged wear. They are usually short (between 1 - 4 inches long) and stimulate the tip of the penis internally.
Wearing a penis plug can increase sensitivity, prolong erections and intensify orgasms. Often considered body jewellery, lots of men wear a penis plug to achieve the appearance of a 'Prince Albert' piercing, without the need to actually get pierced.
Penis plugs come in an array of designs and styles. Some are designed with a glans ring to help keep it in place, while others are textured for heightened sensation. Some designs feature a hole through the middle to allow the wearer to urinate and ejaculate without removal, while others are solid.
Overall, no matter which design you go for, a penis plug will increase sensitivity, prolong erections and provide scintillating sensations during play.
2. Urethral Sounds
Much longer than a penis plug, urethral sounds enable you to explore deeper nerve endings and discover an entirely new sensation. A sound is not designed for prolonged wear, but can stimulate areas of the body which are otherwise out of reach.
Just like the penis plugs, urethral sounds come in many different sizes and styles. Some are extra long for internal prostate and bladder stimulation, while others intensify arousal with vibrations or even electrical stimulation. Lots of men report they've been able to experience hands-free, direct-contact prostate orgasms through urethral penetration.
It's important to do your research and choose the right size probe for your experience level. Using a toy which is too slim or rigid could pierce the urethral wall, while a toy which is too thick could over-stretch your urethra and cause tearing. Read more about choosing the perfect probe below.
Which is the Best Toy for Urethral Play?
If you've decided to try a urethral sound, it's worth thinking about what features you're looking for before you buy. Scroll through the main types of penis plug and urethral sounds to get an idea of where to begin:
Petite and Flexible - Beginner:
Petite and flexible, this beginner's penis plug is perfect for first-time urethral play. The slender design is easy to insert, while the O-ring base prevents over-insertion.
Thanks to a 100% silicone finish, this plug flexes with your body for safe exploration and also features a hollow centre to allow the wearer to pass fluids during play.
"Anyone thinking about trying cock stuffing for the first time, this product is fantastic. Wife loves it too." - Lovehoney Customer
Textured and Girthy - Intermediate:
Longer and girthier than a beginner's penis plug, this textured probe is designed for steady progression with a focus on dilation and sensation.
The totally flexible design works with your body for the highest level of safety, while the vibrating function adds extra buzz to your fun.
" It's a nice size and width for beginners, lovely feel and strong vibrations. The beads give an added sensation as they slide in and out." Lovehoney Customer
Long and Rigid - Advanced:
Designed for advanced play, this long, rigid sound reaches areas of your anatomy which would usually go untouched.
The rounded, metal dilator makes insertion smooth and slick, but won't flex with your body. When connected to an ElectraStim Power Pack, this probe creates unbelievable climax-inducing sensations.
"It was tough to find the sweet spot, but when you do your whole body is shaking and the orgasm you get is so powerful…"- smokey4smokey, Lovehoney Customer
How to Use a Urethral Sound
Follow these simple instructions to safely explore your urethra and discover a whole new, thrilling way to satisfy your desires.
- Start with the sound which fits your urethra best, with minimal stretching or resistance.
- Ensure your toy is completely sanitised before play, and make sure you have plenty of sterile lubricant handy.
- Clean your hands and penis before play (you may even want to use surgical gloves for ultimate cleanliness).
- Add a generous squeeze of sterile lube to your penis opening and the first few inches of your toy.
- Stabilize the sound with one hand, and place one end of the toy into your penis opening (you may find this easier while flaccid to begin with).
- Let the sound gradually "fall" into the hole with gravity's help.
- The sound will reach a point where it naturally stops. Leave it for a while and allow your urethra to relax around your toy.
- You can now experiment with gently moving it in and out about half an inch.
- Remove and re-lube as necessary.
- For deeper exploration you may need to change the angle of penetration due to the natural bend in your urethra.
- Anatomically, the opening in the glans is slightly wider than the urethra itself, so never force a toy that's too big into your urethra.
- It may take some practice to find the perfect angle of play for you, so take it slow and steady. Never rush.
- Never insert anything into the urethra which isn't designed for that purpose. Inserting random objects can be extremely dangerous and cause serious injury, so don't do it!
- Always ensure that your toys are completely sterile before play to avoid contracting a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection). Toys which are safe to boil (surgical steel and silicone) should be left to simmer for 10 minutes between uses.
- Always use a sterile lubricant to further reduce your risk of getting a UTI.
- We don't recommend urethral penetration play for those prone to urinary tract infections.
- First-time sounders should choose a flexible, medium-sized plug or sound. Until you're practiced in this play, choosing something too rigid or too slim can increase your risk of puncturing the urethral wall.
- Using a toy which is too thick is just as risky as using one which is too slim. Listen to your body and take it slow while deciding the right size for you.
- If you feel a sharp pain or that one particular area hurts more, stop immediately.
- You may experience some burning during urination for a few hours or day after play (especially the first few times). This is normal, but you may like to use more lube next time. If these sensations continue for more than a day, seek medical attention.
- If you experience unusual discharge, heavy bleeding, fever or cramping, seek medical attention.
Need more help?
You can Contact Customer Care, who will be able to help you find the perfect sound to start with. You can email, telephone or live chat to an experienced advisor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The other great place to look for people's advice on how to use urethral sounds is on the Lovehoney Forum, where our community is on hand to give their opinions and tips.
You may also like
FREE Delivery on all orders over €40