How to Style Your Pubic Hair
Call it what you will; ‘manscaping’ or ‘lady gardening’ - If you are in the staggering 92% of women and 83% of men who like to primp their downstairs hairs in some way, then you are in very good company
Just as with the hair on our heads, eyebrows, and faces, pubic hair styles come in a wide array of shapes and colours. Some people like it bald, some people like it neatly trimmed, and others prefer to follow the spirit of Woodstock, and let it run wild and free.
In this guide, we’ll discuss the need-to-knows of pubic grooming - from shaving tips to popular pube styles - so you can feel confident, empowered and proud of your pubes.
Should you shave pubic hair?
When it comes to pubic shaving, trimming, or anything else, the truth is, there’s no right or wrong approach. Those who advocate for the full Hollywood (that is, to say, entirely bare) say that it feels cleaner, is less hassle for their sexual partners, and increases sensation.
The Full Bush Administration, however, would counter that pubic hair is there to protect your sensitive areas, makes you less prone to catching STIs, and also helps to retain libido-boosting pheromones that make you even more sexually appealing.
Many also find their partner's personal preference often influences their own choice of pube style. But when it comes down to it, the decision (and the razor) are entirely in your hands.
Pubic shaving, waxing, or trimming… which is best for me?
There are a number of pube styling methods that you can try to style up your intimate area:
Waxing gives you the longest-lasting results (up to four weeks), and can either be done at home, or in a salon. The wax is heated and smoothed onto the skin in the direction of the hair growth, then a cloth is applied, before the cooled wax is pulled back in the opposite direction, taking the entire hair with it. Yes, it does hurt, but many advocates for waxing say the results are worth it, particularly if you’re off on holiday and don’t want to worry about shaving.
Hair removal creams work by using a chemical formula to thin the root of the hair, to the point where it breaks and can be simply wiped away. Although you can get hair removal cream for the bikini area (the parts of the skin where the edge of your knickers would sit), it's not recommended to use it for all-over genital hair removal as it can be an irritant.
Trimming another common pubic hair styling technique. It doesn't remove the hair completely in the same way as other methods, but shortens it for a more groomed appearance. Many special trimmers have a small head that allows you to get to those hard-to-reach areas, as well as sculpting the hair into patterns or shapes using stencils. It’s a firm favourite for people who like to mix up their pube styles regularly.
Shaving is the most popular method of hair removal, as it's quick, convenient, and relatively painless (unless you accidentally cut yourself). For products specifically designed for pubic shaving, check out our range of intimate razors and accessories available in our Personal Grooming section.
How to get the smoothest shave
If you're looking to master the perfect pubic shaving technique, we’ve rustled up this handy guide for hassle-free hair removal:
- Before you start, it’s time for superficial pubic styling. Get out the scissors or trimmer and give everything a nice close crop. Not only will excess hair clog up your razor faster, but it will also dull the blade much more quickly which can cause microscopic cuts on the surface of the skin.
- In order to get the closest, most comfortable shave, you'll need to open up the follicles and soften the hair by having a bath or shower beforehand. If you don't have time, holding a warm, moist flannel over the area for a few minutes will do the trick.
- Use shaving foam or cream. Dry-shaving increases the chances of irritating the skin, so grab that lotion and get foaming! Always use a fragrance-free gel, as this will reduce the risk of upsetting the delicate pH balance of your intimate areas.
“This gel is actually amazing. It does what it says on the can – it's light, no irritation and no bumps. I was truly impressed. I can't remember the last time I felt so very smooth. It's refreshing and sensitive, has no strong perfume smell, and is so easy to wash off.” - FlirtyForty
- Make sure that the skin is taut by pulling your skin upwards, starting just below the navel. If you're intending to get rid of every little bit, positioning a mirror beneath you so that you can see everything will help reduce accidental nicks, and help you to see any bits you may have missed.
- For the greatest comfort and sleekest finish, make sure that you're using a razor with a minimum of two blades. Many also have lubricating strips at the top, which reduce friction during your shave.
- If you're looking for a pubic hair style with a long-lasting and extra smooth finish, draw the razor across your skin in the opposite direction to the direction of hair growth (or, 'against the grain'). Although this will leave a smoother finish initially, be aware that it can irritate the skin and lead to in-growing hairs developing later on.
- Alternatively, to minimise shaving rash, move the razor in the same direction as the hair growth. The final result won't be as smooth, but you'll reduce the irritation once it starts to grow back.
- Once you're happy with the look and feel of your pubic hair style, exfoliate your skin to remove any dead skin and help prevent in-growing hairs developing. You can also use moisturiser or oil to keep your skin feeling extra-soft, but avoid any fragranced lotions and look for skin-soothing formulas containing aloe vera for extra comfort.
Pubic Shaving Tips
How often should you shave down there?
If you're hoping to maintain a clean shave, you should perform your shaving routine every 2-3 days. If you’d prefer to go longer between shaves or shave more frequently, that’s also ok. How you groom your pubic hear is up to you.
Everyone’s hair grows at different paces, so you may find the number of days could vary depending on the individual. What’s most important isn’t the frequency of your grooming, but how you look after your intimate areas that will make all the difference.
Pube styling must-haves:
Best for mixing up your pube styles
If you're looking for a trimmer that'll take you from rough to smooth in the blink of an eye, this clever little kit from Bathmate is ideal.
“The grooming kit is the best I’ve ever used. Doesn’t catch on my hair either. Would definitely recommend it. Lots of different shaving lengths too so great all round. Has a long battery life too so can do everything all in one.” - MarshW
With two different heads that allow you to shave, shape, or trim depending on your mood, a variety of length settings mean you can keep things as long or short as you fancy. Pubic shaving has never been so easy!
Best for soft, silky skin
It's vital to look after your skin, before, during, and after your shave, which is where the Earthly Body Miracle Oil and Shave Cream comes in. Slick on a hearty helping of the tea-tree infused shaving cream before running your razor over your skin to minimise friction and irritation.
"I thought I'd give this a go. It has stopped the rash and itching completely. It's packaged well, smells lovely and feels good." - Horny lady
Once you've finished your pubic hair style, dab a little of the soothing Miracle Oil on the shaved area. The nifty formula reduces redness, moisturises your skin, and gives a long-lasting slick sensation for you to enjoy again and again.
Recommended Personal Grooming Products