Word of the Week: Pompoir
on 19 Aug 2022
Get your tongue around some new sexual terminology with this week's Word of the Week...
In this week's Word of the Week we take a look at the sexual technique of Pompoir.
Also known as 'The Singapore Grip' or 'Kabzah' in Hindi, Pompoir has a long history in the East and is a variety of Tantra (or tantric sex). In fact, the act was developed by priestesses of the Great Mother as part of their fertility rituals.
During the act of pompoir, the penis owner is passive, while the vulva owner is in control. Using the strength of their pelvic floor muscles, those who practise pompoir can stimulate and massage their lover's penis, without moving their body.
While anyone can give pompoir a go, those who practise are reported to have spent many years in training before becoming proficient in this technique, as pompoir is considered highly difficult to perform.
This is due to the strength required to practise pompoir - those pelvic floor muscles have got to be in tip top shape!
Toys for pompoir
Want to try pompoir?
Because pompoir requires a certain level of strength, you're going to start a pelvic floor training routine! No, we won't be heading to the gym, you can do these exercises in the comfort of your own home.
- First, get yourself some Kegel balls. For this type of training you may even want to get a set, because as your strength improves you'll want to add more resistance.
- Next, set some time aside to train. 10 minutes a day is plenty of time to get started.
- To insert your kegel balls, coat them in plenty of water-based lubricant and gently pop them inside your vagina. Squeeze your pelvic muslces to keep them in place.
- As you get stronger, up the ante by upping the weight of your kegel balls.
- For a real challenge check out the Elvie App Controlled Pelvic Floor Trainer, a gamified pelvic muscle device which really tests your strength.
- After plenty of training, try your new skills on your partner by squeezing your pelvic floor muscles while they are inside you. You can experiment with pulses, holds and tight squeezes.
Want to learn more sex terminology? Check out our Ultimate Sex Dictionary.